Zip Ties and Meat Pies

We set out exploring on bikes borrowed from Rod and Penny. Our first order of business was to find an ATM at a small commercial area about a mile north of their place. As we paused out by the main road to consult our map, a local biker stopped to ask if we needed help. He introduced himself as Frank, and proudly announced that he was still doing triathlons at age 76.

While he was speaking, I couldn't help but notice the three zip ties that projected like antennae from his helmet.

"Sometimes the magpies will bomb you," Frank explained, reaching to tighten the straps on my helmet. "Yours could get knocked right off. We local bikers find that if we attach these to our helmets, the birds won't get too close."


Following Frank's directions, we found a Bank of Queensland ATM at the local Cole's grocery store. It was a piece of cake compared with changing dollars at a currency exchange counter. From there we rode (on the left, good practice for me) another mile or so to Mudjimba Beach.




The sand was beige and as fine as sugar. We'd gotten hot on the ride, so I waded in to enjoy the surf. Rod had warned us to swim only between the flags, and the life guard changed their position even in the short time we were there.


The waves were strong and I could feel currents tugging at me from many directions.

The latitude here is 26° South, just a bit outside the tropics, and the sun is direct and hot. I felt like I was frying, even in the water, so we didn't stay long. I used the freshwater shower just off the beach, and Gauss and I crossed the street to a little bakery to get a bite to eat.

Gauss was delighted to find that they had meat pies ("I used to get these for lunch at the swimming pool in Canberra," he told me) and I ordered a chicken and avocado sandwich. We ate outdoors and  then biked through a natural area along the coast before turning inland to return to Rod and Penny's house.

We took a quick dip in the backyard pool to cool off. Now it's nap time. Ahhh, this is vacation!




Comments

Sue Narayan said…
Patti, these posts are fresh, immediate, and full of surprising images. Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

When in Rome...

Italy, On My Own This Time

A Crappy, Crappy Day