A hike at Lago di Garda: Monte Altissimo di Nato

 Bonus! I was able to spend the weekend in the town of Povo just up the mountainside from Trento with cousin Silvia and her husband Andrea. Both are geologists and work in Australia, but they met while working in Trento, which is Andrea's hometown.

Departing Milano Centrale for Trento

I arrived on a Friday afternoon. The next morning Andrea drove us to a hiking spot that would yield views of Lago di Garda. It was a lot of climbing for this flatlander but I was motivated by the views that kept getting better as we went higher.

Our route from the parking lot at Rifugio Graziani to Monte Altissimo di Nago

Andrea indulged me with geology lessons as we hiked up


Here is a chert lens with handles from my hiking poles for scale. Andrea and Silvia
 explained the complicated process that allows chert to form...I think it has something to do with chemicals and the amount of time that they are exposed to calcite...but don't quiz me. The cool thing about chert is that it fractures to sharp, thin points so it's great for arrowheads and other stone age tools.

Hardy plant life along the way




The Refugio at the top of the peak was crowded. It was a beautiful day and as we hiked we were passed by many mountain bikers (and some hikers who were faster than me.)


Andrea enjoys his reward. The three of us shared a plate of local cheese as well.


The view of Lago di Garda from the top was amazing. I walked carefully; the drop-off was steep!


You can clearly see how the glacier sheared off the rock as it formed the valley that became Lago di Garda. Andrea pointed out that the bottom of the lakebed is well below sea level. Too bad it was hazy; he said that on a good day you can see all the way to the Po River.


Looking north one can see a glacier-capped peak in the Dolomites


Besides the precipitous drop-off to the lake, we had to walk carefully; these are trenches from WWI at the top of the mountain.

Looking northeast to the Adige River valley and the city of Rovereto. Note the WWI trench in the foreground.

The hike was a challenge for me; four kilometers of unrelenting climb, switchback after switchback. I was a little hesitant at first; I've become deconditioned due to some injuries, and I haven't been at altitude in years. But Silvia and Andrea were patient with me. The payoff at the top and the satisfaction of meeting the challenge made the sore muscles worthwhile.

Back in Rovereto after the hike, Silvia enjoys a glass of wine and some potato chips (which seem to always come with the wine at no extra charge around here). Andrea and I had espressos and pastries. He got some super-flaky cannolis (I got to try a bite) and Silvia recommended that I try a local specialty: crumb cake with hazelnuts and some kind of dried fruit.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When in Rome...

A Crappy, Crappy Day

Italy, On My Own This Time